14 November 2007

The first ultrasound (week 8)

Because I have a thyroid problem I have to be checked by a gynecologist. This is not common practice in Holland, because most women get checked by a midwife, and don't ever go to the hospital. Even delivery can be done at home!
So because of my slow thyroid (I have an auto immune disease called Hashimoto's) I also got my first ultrasound early. Normally you have one at 12 weeks, but I only had to wait till week 8. It was an amazing experience to see the heart beat and to know now that every thing looked fine so far. One of the first things I asked the technician was " it is only 1 baby right?". I was really kind of nervous about twins. But no, only one baby that is growing at the right speed and has a strong heart beat.

Here is a collage that Sean made of our little peanut and that some of you already received.