24 August 2008

Feeding issues

My last couple of posts have been about some difficult times we have had with Jill. It turned out there was a reason. She was just hungry! I already had the feeling she was never totally satisfied after she ate, and that there wasn't enough time in between feedings, but according to the bookings Jill can have these 1-2 day growth spurts. So I got confused and thought it was normal. Our growth spurt however seemed to last 1-2 weeks instead.
So last week we got Jill weight and she didn't quite grow enough. So she just had been a little hungry. The boobnazi (sorry but that is my opinion about the attitude there is for breastfeeding) at the medical center we go to of course said... "it is not so bad she is doing quite well". But I said "I am not" after she was suggesting to put her on even more. That just wasn't going to work, I do need some time during the day where I don't have to hold her. And most of all I want Jill to be satisfied and not on the edge. I know that according to the growth line she is not starving and according to the books produces enough wet diapers, but that isn't good enough for me.
So we started to give her some formula after certain feedings (mostly in the afternoon and evening) where she just wasn't happy yet. And guess what, she has been great for the past 5 days, so it isn't just a 1 day coincidence. She has been sleeping great at least once during the day and all through the night. In the mornings and evenings she likes to hang out with us and is really awake, but at least she is happy. So this is fine with us.
I just never seemed to have quite enough milk from day 1. I think having been super sick with HELLP got us a bad start and I never catched up all the way. I think breastfeeding is indeed the best and is great when it all works out. But now I decided I keep going with it as best as I can but not to the point were me and Jill and unhappy with it. That is just not worth it!