03 June 2008

False alarm

I ended my last post commenting on the fact that as of today we enter the "normal" delivery time-zone.... well that was almost not a joke anymore.
Last night we spent in the hospital from about 1.30 - 4.00 am, because I had woken up and was bleeding heavily. At first I called my midwife who recommended us going to the hospital right away. There they did all sorts of test, checked me and the baby and made some more ultrasounds to make sure the bleeding wasn't caused by the placenta. Everything looked fine and thus the bleeding was probably just coming from my cervix getting ready for delivery. Also I had some mild contractions, but they weren't actually doing anything useful, besides practicing my uterus. So false alarm and we got to go home again. The gyno told us you can't predict anything from this bleeding, we might be parents really soon, but it could also last another 2 weeks. But a 42 week pregnancy isn't very likely, so this made us realize all the more how soon we will be parents.

The one good thing that came out of this was the fact that we got to rehearse driving to the hospital. All the bags are ready and we seem to be well prepared and were able to handle this stressful situation very well together. Sean did a great job taking care of me and the baby and all the stuff. He even brought the car seat into the hospital which we got to take home again (empty).....

Ok, time for a nap now, I didn't get much sleep last night!